Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Veggies and more!




I'm trying to eat healthier..... eat good fresh vegetables and fruits. No canned anything soaked in salt and drained of nutrients. I'd like to slowly lower my meat intake all together. That I'm not sure about yet.:o) This week I had turnip greens for the first time ever. I had no idea how to cook them, but I saw them at walmart and decided to go for it. I thought" onion, salt and pepper makes anything taste ok, right?" So that's what I did. IT was pretty good. IT kind of makes me thing of eating cooked cabbage a little. We've been going through cartons of strawberries like crazy. Man they are so good! Today we went to the produce stand and came home with a few bags. WE bought cantelope, watermelon, peaches, and squash. We went to walmart after that and I was able to compare the prices.....the stand was cheaper. And I'm sure the food is better. WE got a dozen squash) so far I've chopped up four meal sized bags and I still have 4 more big squash left), a big cantalope, a sugar baby watermelon, and 14 peaches for 10 bucks. I took a picture of my counter scene when I was chopping up my squash. :o) Tonight for supper we had fresh corn on the cob, and fresh green beans. I don't know when I've had green beans that didn't come from a can or a bag frozen. And I sliced a tomato that came from our back yard. And my new favorite chicken! (chorizo stuffed chicken breast ) It's sam's choice in the big middle freezers by the meat department. So good. And 270 calories. IT tastes like 700 calories.:o) IT was delicious. I'm stuffed~! I think later I'm going to make some kind of slush with strawberries and limes and maybe some sprite.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I hear you! I told Brandon that we absolutely HAVE to start eating better! My list for Kroger tomorrow night includes lots of fruits and veggies. And that chicken sounds great - I'm going to have to try that!

Hodges Services said...

For great greens: FRY them with bacon grease, onion, and a tablespoon or so of brown sugar. Shew!I guarantee!